14 September 2008

New ETSY obsessions.....

I might not have San Diego's and the surrounding area's plethora (a word taken from 'The Three Amigos' that I never fail to love to use!) of vintage and second-hand shops, but I do have Etsy! Of course it doesn't replace the sheer satisfaction of combing through racks and racks of clothing for hours to find that perfect dinner dress from the 40's or men's cardigan from the 60's, but it is better than nowt!

Vintage Mexican men's western shirts, art, jewelry, and handmade soaps are just a sprinkling of what one can find at Etsy. Oh, and 80's Gunne Sax dresses, which I have been sharing with my older sister with suggestions (threats) of buying them for her only to be met with horrified 'NO's. I still think it would be fun to buy a Gunnie's dress for each of us to wear while out and about in Boise but she really isn't too thrilled with the idea :D Whyever not, when you find beauties like this??? Isn't it dreamy.....





Here's the dress that freaked Sara out by the way :D




I actually think Gunne Sax's Civil War/Victorian/Prairie revival styles of the 70's/80's are quite fetching and when an occasion arises I am definitely buying one.

As for the vintage Mexican western shirts, I know most I find will be too large for me, but I love the embroidery, design, and soft thick cotton. I might get a few I like anyway just to look at or transform into something I can wear.

So anyway, I LOVE handmade soaps. I have for around five years now. I love the lovely butters and oils used (shea, cocoa, avocado, etc), the exotic ingredients (red/green deep sea clays, honey, goat's milk), and luxurious scents. With names like Black Honey, Pomegranate, Marshmallow Fudge, Black Mission Fig, Indian Clementine, and Eucalyptus Mint, how can I resist??



Here's some of my favourite ETSYans:

EmiliaRo - Besides being one of the nicest people I've ever met, she makes the COOLEST 'dinner plate-big' rings.

CATboxartstudio - Sumptuous Frida Kahlo and Dia de los Muertos art.

JSchubertDesigns - I looooove cosy, and this wonderful lady's handwoven shawls and scarves are perfect to wrap up in while on the sofa watching scary movies or braving the Scottish cold and wind.

Tiger Burning Bright - Freya creates some of the most gorgeous jewelry I've ever seen! And she's local!

Calico Vintage - Pages and pages of Gunne Sax and similar to pore over.

Savor - Home of some of the swoon-worthy, decadent soaps mentioned above.



Dream ETSY articles yet to be found: Beach Boy's 'poor boy' men's mock turtleneck knit pullover shirt, fifties tea-length party dress, black 80's strapless evening gown like Cybill Shepherd would've worn in 'Moonlighting', the perfect clutch, multi-strand true lapis lazuli necklace, a Gunne Sax dress that isn't xxxsmall, and handmade soap that doesn't cost a fortune to ship to the UK!


The search continues!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw shucks... thanks for the "shout out"!
That's so funny about the Gunne Sax dresses... the funniest thing is that if I bought one for my sister, I think she may actually wear it...and like it :)

Becky said...

Lol! Well, I'm thinking Gunnie's mihgt bring back memories of her 8th grade graduation? Teehee! I think there should be a Gunnie's movement. Gunnie's parties everywhere!!

~Nikki said...

we're so doing this when you come!!!